Floating solar is a fairly new industry that has been around since 2006 but has been growing quickly over the past few years. The many benefits of putting photovoltaic panels on man-made bodies of water are creating increasing demand for floating solar installations.
- Land preservation – valuable land space used for solar farms freed up
- Water volume retention – evaporation of water for drinking or irrigation mitigated by intercepting sunlight before it hits the reservoir’s surface
- Water quality preservation– growth of algae inhibited by shading water and growth of bacteria, such as giardia and cryptosporidium, restricted due to water temperature reduction
- Solar cell efficiency augmentation – panels made up to 11% more efficient than land-based PV systems due to cooling effect of water!
- Solar cell atrophy minimization – risk of solar cell atrophy minimized due to cooler air at surface
- Land-based solar farm cost mitigation – cost associated with land-based solar farms such as land purchase, clearing, maintenance, and insurance against flooding mitigated
Send us a message to discuss your floating solar needs. We are excited to enter the renewable energy market!